Note to Self (and anyone else who needs to hear it): Your life is what you make of it. You are 100% responsible for your happiness.

Saturday, October 8, 2011

The Great (weekend) Escape!

Seems all we do day-in and day-out is hit the alarm clock, spend the majority of our waking hours at work, take care of the kids, cook dinner… Are we having fun yet? Sometimes you just have to go find some fun! It’s easier than you think.

If you’re like me, your calendar gets booked with obligatory events. Don’t get me wrong, most of the things on my calendar are there because I enjoy them, and want to attend. But seriously… sometimes I look at my calendar and just sigh. How did I get this booked up? Between work, family, kids, and volunteering, my calendar has something written on close to 25 of the squares each month. And when it gets to the point where the next four or five (or eight) weekend squares are filled in, I go out to the next blank weekend and block it out like this: FUN TIME! Then I turn to my husband and say, “Let’s get out of here.”

We try to take a real family vacation each summer. "Real” for us means 10-14 days, usually out of state. But during the rest of the year (when we’re building up our vacation days at work again) it’s the weekend get-aways that help us keep our sanity.

Sometimes it’s by plane, most times it’s by car, but the point is to get away from the hustle and bustle of our busy lives. Just a weekend of pure quality time together, with a heavy dose of relaxation.

If this sounds good to you, look on your calendar and go past the weekends where you’ve jotted down “Sally’s birthday party” and “Joe’s tournament.”  Keep doing this until you come to that weekend that is two blank squares. Did you find it? You know what to put there… FUN TIME! Next step: Make a plan. Camping with the kids, a Bed & Breakfast without them (I’m a big fan of that one). It doesn’t really matter what or where. The point is to “escape” for an overnighter. Or even better, use a couple comp hours and leave work early on a Friday so you can spend two nights away.

With today’s economy it can be difficult to squeeze a get-away into the budget. But because of the economy it’s also easier to find great deals on hotels and entertainment. Figure out what your budget can spare, and plan accordingly. Then book it, update your calendar, and pull that duffle bag out of the closet and shake off the dust! 

What do you do for a great weekend escape?

(I originally wrote this for the blog I used to do for the Houston Chronicle back in 2009, but thought it was worth reposting!)

2 comments:

  1. What a great reminder to have fun - and to enjoy the things we have to do anyway. I haven't done a weekend getaway in so long I can't remember!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should plan one! Scott and I do overnight stays in cities within a few hours from us. Sometimes we take the kiddo ... sometimes we don't. :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate nice, friendly feedback - so thanks!