Note to Self (and anyone else who needs to hear it): Your life is what you make of it. You are 100% responsible for your happiness.

Thursday, September 1, 2011

My Gramma Passed Down the Strong-Woman Gene

If there is such a gene, we've got it. In my family there's not a wimpy female among us. Strong women... strong willed for sure, but it's more like we're all made of strong emotional building blocks stacked on a sound foundation. Our foundation's strength comes from the strong women before us -- teaching us along the way. (Alright already with the metaphors - geez.)

Okay so one of the women in my family who influenced me is my Gramma Lucy. My Mom's Mom. In all of my childhood memories of her, she's smiling (just like in this picture). She enjoyed life, saw the good in everyone, the humor in everything, and shared her wisdom with me often. 
 
I was about 8 years old when I told her I hated a boy in school who was mean to me. (Phillip - sheesh, what a jerk.) She told me I shouldn't hate him, that it's such a strong feeling, and that God doesn't want us to hate anybody. Then she leaned in close and whispered, "You can really, really 'not like' him, but try not to hate him." ...HA! You rock, Gramma.
Later on, during my oh-so-very dramaaaaatic teen years, I was complaining to her about a "friend" who had talked behind my back, lied about me, and blah blah freakin' waaaaaaah. Gramma looked me in the eyes and asked, "Why are you friends with her?" I didn't have an answer -- not one single reason. She talked a bit about how life is too short to put up with that crap. And then she said the words that have stuck with me for 30 years... "Surround yourself with those who make you smile."
At first it seems like a simple enough statement. Kind of an "awwww" moment. Sure. But if you let it sink in, say it a few times in your head, you might see that it's the smartest thing anyone has ever said in the history of people saying things. Uh huh. Sure is. It is without a doubt, my life's motto in a nutshell.
God needed Gramma in Heaven, unexpectedly, on June 16, 1987. (I'm still a little mad at Him for that, but I can't blame Him. She would be an incredible asset to any good-guy organization.) Her 3 daughters and 12 granddaughters are all amazing women today due in part to her influence. And because she helped shape us, her 7 great granddaughters (with another about to arrive!), and now even a great-great granddaughter (that's my grand-angel) are all amazing women in-the-making. I know she watches over us. And I know she's proud of us all -- not only our strength, but our bond to each other that is the glue of the entire family.

I wrote this poem (below) for the women in my family a few years ago. Thought I'd share it today.
Have a good one, y'all.
Jen
To the Females of Our Family:
The women in this family are the ties that make it strong
The reason that our family tree’s roots are deep and long
From Carol down to Laureli, and all of us in between
There is strength of character – you all know what I mean
The ones who came before us, and the little ones yet to arrive
The former our foundation, the latter too will strive
We’re there at a moment’s notice when any of us makes a call
Offering unquestioning support, never letting one of ours fall
Sometimes things can get crazy, but always we are there
It’s nothing short of priceless, this bond that we all share
I’m proud to be part of our circle, holding hands with you
I cherish where we come from, who we are, and what we do
I love you all with the whole of my heart.
XOXOXO, Love Jen
Copyright Jennifer Moody 2008

6 comments:

  1. What a lovely poem, I bet your familey love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lisa. It caused a big o' group-hug, that's for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story & poem.. I love reading your stories. That one made me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Tracey. I don't see you on the "followers" list. I'm glad you're reading my posts though! :)

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. She sounds amazing, I had a Gramma like that too. We're both fortunate in that we are blessed with solid, loving families.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely one of the biggest blessings in my life.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate nice, friendly feedback - so thanks!