Note to Self (and anyone else who needs to hear it): Your life is what you make of it. You are 100% responsible for your happiness.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

A Podium - Scary Stuff

After reading Megan's blog, How to Jump in the Deep End, I felt inspired to do a little blogging myself this morning. (Thanks Megan!) If you follow Megan, you know how inspiring she can be. If you haven't read her stuff, you should go check her out.

I’ve never been the public speaker type. In high school I once took a zero for an oral report grade because I wouldn’t get up to read it to the class. Sad, I know. I have been known to say things like, “I can write a killer speech, but do not ask me to stand at the podium and read it.” (There’s just something about a podium that scared the bajeebers out of me.)

Well … I learned that a fear, even a long-time fear, isn’t necessarily a permanent one. Two years ago my Aunt asked me to do a reading at my cousin’s funeral service. My reaction was something like, “Me? You want ME to?” She said yes, but quickly added not if I’m uncomfortable, etc. I wanted to, God knows I did, but at that moment the fear had the bail on the tip of my tongue. I got a grip on it fast, and wouldn’t let myself take the out. I was honored that she asked me, that she wanted ME to do it. This was the funeral of her son – something I cannot fathom going through. It was important, and I didn’t want to say no. So I said yes, and went home with the printout of the reading and read it over and over and over forever before going to bed.

The next day at church my heart was beating a bit quicker than it normally does, and I found myself staring at that darn podium. I asked God to give me the strength to go up there and read this reading nice and clear to all of Kerry’s friends and family who came because they loved him so much. When I got the look/nod from the priest indicating it was my turn to go up, I stood up, walked down the row and up the aisle, climbed the steps, stood at the podium (insert scary music), and stared out at a sea of people all staring back at me. With the reading clutched tightly in my hand, I breathed … just fine actually. My heartbeat was normal.

I imagined (a more appropriate word would be – felt) the presence of God standing behind me, arms wrapped around me, with His face resting against the left side of my face. With a whispered “Okay, now go…” in my ear, I started reading. I think I spoke clearly. I felt choked-up but I know I didn’t cry. I remembered not to read too fast, and to pause in between phrases. I even looked out into the audience during the reading … a little.

That evening I saved the print-out in my Bible. It’s special to me mostly because I read it at Kerry’s service, but also because … I read it, at Kerry’s service. It was a turning point for me in the confidence department. A gift given to me by my Aunt, who doesn’t even know that she gave me something so special in a time of such heartache.

I’ve had to speak several times since then, and I’ve done just fine. Nobody ever makes fun of me. ...Imagine that. If you have the opportunity to face a long-time fear, give it a shot. You might be surprised at how well you do when you're no longer that scaredy cat from years ago.


Be blessed, everyone. LIVE your life. Take chances. Hug your kids. 
Jen

5 comments:

  1. I LOVED your post! God is sooooo good!!

    So glad you were able to conquer your fear!!!

    T Denise Clary :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Jen - I love that you took the chance, trusted in yourself and found strength there.

    And thanks for the link back too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looked at your blogs this morning because of the e-mail you sent. Today is January 17, 2012 by the way. I had no idea that you had a fear of speaking in front of people and you have touched my heart more than you can ever imagine with this blog. It's funny I asked you to do a reading because you are so well spoken and I knew you loved Kerry and would put that love into your reading....and I was right. Did I ever thank you, probably not who knows what I did or didn't do then. So thank you now and thank you for taking that brave step for Kerry and I to overcome your fears. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured you hadn't read this but didn't want to ask. I thought ... she'll read it one day. And here you are. :) I couldn't tell you if you thanked me either. You probably did. What I do remember though, is that during the reading I got choked up a little, and paused for a second to look out at the audience. I made eye contact with you, and you mouthed "awww" like you felt bad for me, and smiled at me through your tears. I toughed it up a notch and finished the reading without anymore choking-up. I love you too. XOXOXO

      Delete

I appreciate nice, friendly feedback - so thanks!